2013 Summer Reading Challenge
Have the boredoms of summer doldrums hit already? Close out summer with a bang by getting involved with Lamplighter’s Summer Reading Challenge today! Lamplighter’s Summer Reading Challenge is distinct because it focuses on quality literature, character building, and service. In the Summer Reading Challenge, you earn points for doing various activities with Lamplighter resources. Once you earn a certain number of points, you receive a reward! Every participant will be entered into the Ultimate Challenge where he or she will have the opportunity to win one of the grand prizes!
To register and get more information about Lamplighter’s Summer Reading Challenge, just fill in the form below. If you have any questions about the challenge, please feel free to contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
How It Works
- Choose your track below and fill out the form below to register. Please email email@example.com if you have any difficulties.
- Choose a book. You may order books at www.lamplighter.net.
- Print out the sign off sheet for your parent to record your progress. Download the sign off sheet.
- Get started on the activities necessary to help you reach your goal. Make sure to record each activity.
- Elementary and Junior High Track participants, please have your parents initial off each activity completed.
- High School and Adult Track participants, please find an accountability partner, preferably one who is also participating in the Reading Contest, to sign off on your completed activities.
- Once you’ve reached your goal (or deadline) send us your sign off sheet, complete with a parent’s (or accountability partner’s) signature, and we’ll send you the reward you qualify for.
- Do you have questions? Check out the FAQs page.
Choose Your Track
Track 1: Elementary Track
Recommended for younger children or beginning readers.
Earn 750 points and receive $25 Coupon for a Download of Lamplighter Theatre audio drama MP3s or eBooks.
Track 2: Junior High Track
Earn 1,750 points and receive $39 Coupon for a Download of Lamplighter Theatre audio drama MP3s or eBooks.
Track 3: High School/ Adult Track
Earn 2,000 points and receive $44 Coupon for a Download of Lamplighter Theatre audio drama MP3s or eBooks.
Track 4: Senior Track (Age 55+)
Earn 750 or more points and receive a coupon for a Download of Lamplighter Theatre audio drama MP3s or eBooks in accordance with the other tracks. (For example, if a Senior earns 1800 points, he or she will receive what a participant in the Junior High Track receives.)
Compete in our Ultimate Challenge to earn the most points before August 31st to win one of the following Grand Prizes:
- 1st place: Link to download Season 1, 2, 3 (all 14 dramatic audios released on or before May 31, 2013).
- 2nd place: Link to download Season 1, 2 of Lamplighter dramatic audios.
- 3rd place: Link to download Season 3 of Lamplighter dramatic audios.
(All point totals must be submitted by August 31st; winners for Ultimate Challenge will be announced by September 10th.)
New for this year!
This year, a special gift will be given to the highest point earner for the following categories: 1) Elementary, 2) Junior High, 3) High School, 4) Adult, and our newest category 5) Seniors (age 55+).
Points Awarded for Books
Points are now awarded based on the number of pages in the book that you read. Please refer to the following table for assistance:
|Points Earned||# Pages|
|25||0 – 50|
|50||51 – 100|
|75||101 – 150|
|100||151 – 200|
|125||201 – 250|
|150||250 – 300|
|175||301 – 350|
|200||351 – 400|
|250||401 – 450|
Points Awarded for Activities
Important Note: Each participant is awarded points for each book read during the Summer Reading Challenge and the activity. For instance, if you read Trusty, Tried and True to your younger sibling, you will have earned 50 points for actually reading the book and an additional 50 points for reading the book aloud to a sibling.
- Take a character comprehension quiz after you read a book (Please email firstname.lastname@example.org for the comprehension quiz.)
- Send in a drawing or creative photo that pertains to one of the books.
- Give us the names and email addresses of three friends who would like to hear about the Lamplighter Summer Reading Challenge (You can do this activity twice, for 6 friends and 100 points. However, we encourage you to tell as many friends as you can!).
- Go to Lamplighter’s Facebook page and participate in the Summer Reading discussion on our Discussion Board
- Give a Lamplighter book as a gift for a birthday or other occasion.
- Read a Lamplighter book to a younger sibling. If you and your friends have already listened to a dramatic audio together (or choose to do so now), save time afterwards to act out a favorite scene for each other, your parents, or others. (Remember, these 50 points are in addition to the points awarded for reading the book).
- Get a parent to read a Lamplighter story to you.
- If your Pastor (or Church Elder) is unfamiliar with Lamplighter, share a review of a Lamplighter book and explain why these books have had a strong influence on your life.
- Read a Lamplighter book with a friend.
- Make an eye-catching book cover which portrays, in an intriguing way, an introduction to the plot.
- Record a short audio scene of one of the books
- Give a Lamplighter book to a friend and get them to read it.
- Get a friend to sign up for the Lamplighter book club.
- Listen to a Lamplighter Theatre dramatic audio.
- Get your family reading a Lamplighter story together and do something to make it a memorable time. (Cuddle up in the family room, make a special snack, have a picnic lunch, or take the book with you on vacation!) Post on our Facebook page or email us so we know what kind of creative ideas you came up with!
- Buy a new Lamplighter book and read it (remember you get additional points for actually reading the book).
- Listen to a Lamplighter Theatre dramatic audio with a friend.
- Read a biography of a great Christian man or woman (for suggestions, see here: http://store.lamplighter.net/biographies-c128.aspx). For an additional 75 points, write a three paragraph essay on the person you read about. Be sure to tell what made him /her great. How did this person’s biography inspire you?
- Get your Sunday School class (or similar group) to listen to a Lamplighter Theatre dramatic audio (Note: Additional points are NOT earned for listening to the drama.)
- Find three scriptures that are used in a Lamplighter book and memorize them. The first three verses you choose (either from one book or from a variety of books) will count as 150 points, to get you motivated. After that, each verse counts as 10 points, and you can earn a total of 300 points (counting the 150 from the first three) for scripture memory. We don’t want to make it seem like we’re not emphasizing scripture memory–because we highly value it! But we also want to get people reading—that is one of the main goals of the Summer Reading Challenge.
- Write a one page “journal entry” on any Lamplighter book (or audio drama) you’ve read and send it to us. We’d love to use it as a customer review on our website. Don’t summarize—discuss the following:
- How the book influenced your life?
- What scriptures were used in the book and how did the author use the scriptures to mold the story?
- Write a character sketch of an admirable character of a Lamplighter book. Write at least three paragraphs & include at least one telling how the character challenged you to be more Christlike.
- Write a poem about one of the characters in a Lamplighter book and email it to email@example.com.
- Act out a scene from a Lamplighter book, film it, and then post it to our Facebook page for others to see.
- Write a devotional based on a lesson in one of the books.
- Read a Lamplighter story to an elderly friend who is over 70.
- Read a Lamplighter story to a grandparent.
- Listen to a dramatic audio with an elderly friend or grandparent.
- Make a one-minute video clip reviewing your favorite Lamplighter book and post it to our Facebook page.
- Sign up for the Lamplighter Book Club to receive a new Lamplighter book each month! (See here for details: www.mylamplighter.com)
- Read a Lamplighter story to a widow.
- Use a Lamplighter resource to share the gospel with someone who does not yet know the Lord.
- Record yourself reading an entire Lamplighter book and send a copy of the recording to an elderly person.
- Start a reading club with local friends willing to read and discuss Lamplighter books together. Read at least one story together to get started!
As you can see, there are a lot of options for how to use Lamplighter books this summer! Last, but not least, if you’re feeling creative, send us an email and suggest an activity! We’ll assign it a point value!